In my point of views, I feel that every woman and man on the planet should be made to watch “Gone with the Wind” at least two times if only to teach men how to be men and women how to separate them from the boys. And if you are dating now, you know where the boys are: on Tinder, on Match, on the street, making vulgar statements about what they’d like to do with you and where. They’re on your phone texting sexual innuendos before they know your last name and asking to “hang out” because they’re alarmed of promising to the idea of a proper dating.
But the Rhett Butler would not do any of this. Who is Rhett? He was a man in control of himself. He spoke and dressed well, loved better, and had a great sense of humor, sometimes of questionable taste. He was unafraid to speak his mind, fall wildly in love, stand his ground, and show his love (and fight for it, too). Now, I’ll let you in on a little secret: I was raised by a man who lived this way and knows a few men who live this way now, and make no mistake: they do wonderfully with women.
1. He is aseptic; he cleans his nails and trims his nose hairs outside of a nail salon.
2. He can balance both superiority and swag and a career and a personal life without too many proverbial exclamation points (and positively not multiple ones in a text message. No, no, no).
3. He controls his “LOL” for actual laughter, which he shows out loud and often.
4. He isn’t watching to play “pen pal” with you through your iPhone because he knows that all text and no play makes a very dull boy.
5. When he’s involved in you, he doesn’t wait three days to call you, but he does actually call you, and when he does, he asks you out for dinner, makes reservations, picks a great bottle of wine (because he knows how to) and then makes sure you get home safely.
6. If he wants to see you again, he lets you know, and if he doesn’t, he politely allows you to know that it was a pleasure to spend time with you, even if it wasn’t. He does, however, let you know gently and firmly enough that he’s not interested so that you doesn’t waste your time thinking it might become something it won’t.
7. He reads newspapers, actual books and holds opinions about everything from scotch pairings to world events all the while knowing that not all of his opinions are facts and that not everyone has to agree with him for to maintain his relationships or his manhood.
8. He takes coats and opens doors, not because he feels you are weak, just because he is strong that he cares about the comfort of those around him.
9. He might want to get into bed, but he’s also interested in getting into your head as experience has shown him that seduction is a delicate dance and the man who resides in your mind has conquered every other part of you.
10. He has a hobby, a family of close friends, a career, and a favorite way to have his steak prepared and he isn’t the least bit intimidated when you in front of him shares these qualities; quite the contrary, it makes him want her more.