Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) says he conveyed a dossier to FBI Director James Comey toward the end of last year containing unverified claims that Russia had assembled bargaining data on President-elect Donald Trump.
“Late last year, I received sensitive information that has since been made public,” McCain said in an announcement on Wednesday. “Upon examination of the contents, and unable to make a judgment about their accuracy, I delivered the information to the Director of the FBI. That has been the extent of my contact with the FBI or any other government agency regarding this issue.”
The statement goes ahead the heels of reports that President Obama, Trump, and congressional leaders were informed on the assertions made in the dossier.
The two-page summary depends on collection notices made by political adversaries of Trump amid his presidential battle, charging that the Russians had compromising data on Trump. The updates were purportedly aggregated by a former British insight official.
Those updates have apparently been coursing among writers and legislators in Washington for months. However, none of the cases have been confirmed.
Trump reacted to the media gives an account of Twitter Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, calling them “fake news” and “a total political witch hunt” and denying that Russia has ever attempted to extort or influence him in any capacity.
The president-elect has repeatedly denied that the Kremlin meddled in the presidential race, despite unanimous agreement among the U.S. intelligence community that it did. That puts Trump inconsistent with McCain, who has criticized Trump’s incredulity of U.S. insight and has voiced worry over Russia’s decision influence campaign.
During hearings on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, Comey declined to state whether the FBI was examining the cases made in the dossier, yet noticed that the Russians did not hack the Trump campaign.